The work of the HOSC aims to achieve the following:
- Improve the health of people in East Sussex by reviewing and scrutinising matters that involve the planning, provision and operation of health services in our county.
- Make sure that health services are fairly and equally provided to, and accessible to, all local people.
- Go beyond looking only at those services provided by the NHS.
- Raise the profile of the debate on health inequality.
- Respond to local factors affecting people's health and wellbeing.
- Consider and comment on any major local NHS developments that affect people in East Sussex.
To maximise the effectiveness of health scrutiny and to achieve these wide-ranging aims, the HOSC has set clear objectives of:
- Working and linking with the NHS and other partners - including the County Council, Districts, Boroughs and voluntary organisations - to achieve continuous improvement of health services along with other services that impact on health.
- Consulting and involving the public and patients in its scrutiny activities.
- Seeking advice and expert opinion from people or groups in a position to raise concerns, challenge the rationale for decisions and propose alternative solutions.